Thursday, January 24, 2013

Evelyn is 6 Months!

Evelyn had her first half-birthday a few days ago.  This year seems to be flying by, in great part due to the two 2-year-olds that keep me on my toes all day.  Almost every day, we are going to a museum or going to a playground or having a play date with friends... and often we are doing more than one of those things in the same day.  We basically never have a day where we stay home, unless someone is sick. There is just too much to see and do, and getting out and about helps the kids burn off energy, gives them the opportunity to learn and gives me the opportunity to maintain my sanity (even though it is exhausting sometimes).


Evelyn is an incredibly sweet, easy-going baby.  She rarely cries, and usually it's just to tell us that she is hungry or needs a nap.  She loves to smile and giggle, and she has very expressive eyes.  She adores her brother and sister, who frequently bring her toys and tickle her and make her laugh.

Evelyn sleeps fairly well at night.  She had her very first 12-hour straight stretch of sleep a couple nights ago - sleeping from 7 pm until almost 7 am without feeding.  Wow - what a difference 8 hours of sleep makes for me!  Since we're not doing bottles, I always have to feed her myself.  I love nursing her, but I will say that every now and then it would be nice if someone else could feed her at 4 am.  Evelyn also doesn't take a pacifier at all, but she does suck her thumb.  I guess we just like to avoid plastic nipples in all forms.  :)


Evelyn's 6-month doctor's appointment went very well.  We have no concerns with her at all.  She rarely spits up, and she seems to be moving right along with the rolling over and sitting up and vocal skills.  Here are her stats:

  • Height: 26.5 in (76%)
  • Weight:  17 lb 1 oz (69%)
  • Head Circumference: 16.8 (65%)
She can easily roll all the way over now (both directions), and she has almost mastered sitting up.  She needs a bit of assistance with balance, but she can sit up on her own for short periods of time before toppling over.  Evelyn loves to stand if we hold her under her shoulders for balance, but she has a long way to go before she could stand on her own (or even holding onto something like a table for support).  She locks out her knees, so she doesn't bounce much yet.

She has gotten very vocal over the past few weeks - with lots of squealing and a new affinity for the "b" consonant sound.  We hear a lot of "ba ba ba ba" around here.

Evelyn's hair is really growing in, and she has a head full of dark, crazy fuzz.  She has the warmest deep brown eyes... definitely my brown-eyed girl.  Her complexion is dark and smooth, and she has rolls on her legs that just won't stop.

We haven't really begun to feed her any solid foods yet.  I have given her the occasional taste of yogurt or other foods that we're eating, but she basically still only nurses.  I have no plans for starting her on solids any time soon.  I mainly just don't want to add something else to my plate (no pun intended), and she can develop perfectly well on my milk so I feel no need to rush it. 

Evelyn has the sweetest disposition, and I can't wait to get to know her better as her little personality blossoms.   Thanks for being a part of our family, baby girl.  And thanks for being so mellow and taking it so easy on Mommy.  Love you!

1 comment:

  1. She is beautiful! I love that pic of her gazing up at the camera. I am jealous of your ability to get out with the three kids! The logistics of the four kids with the age crunch makes a lot of that realllllly a stretch right now other than the park or a walk if I'm by myself. It's fun to have Evelyn just ahead of Miles and Sam and be reminded of the fun developmental stuff around the corner! I'm glad she's showing some glimpses of giving you more full nights of sleep soon!

    ReplyDelete