Friday, July 20, 2012

We're Getting There

Well, today has been interesting.  For the past few days, I have had generalized cramping in my abdomen.  I kept wondering whether it was the start of contractions, but it definitely wasn't strong enough to be real solid labor contractions.

This morning, I had about an hour of intense contractions - clearly labor contractions with a discreet start and stop.  They were about 9.5 minutes apart, but then they stopped.  Throughout the day today, I have continued to have contractions here and there, but nothing regular like this morning.

Jason and I were debating whether or not he should go to work.  We decided that he should, and he packed up his hospital bag (no, I still haven't packed my own bag) and went to work.  I'm glad that he went, because it's 3 pm and I'm still at home. 

This morning, my mommy playgroup had a little "sprinkle" for me and another expecting mommy, Allison, this morning at the park across the street.  They gave us some adorable baby gift baskets and balloons.  It was fun to see all our friends and to give Miles and Vivienne a chance to play at the playground.  After that, we had lunch with my parents, and then the kids napped at their house while I went to my regular OB appointment.

The OB said that I have made good progress and that I'm 3 cm dilated and 70% effaced.  She said that if I were 4 cm dilated, Strep-B positive (which I'm not) or currently having contractions that she would go ahead and send me to the hospital.  It was kind of surreal to hear her say that.  She said that if the contractions started up regularly again and got as close as 8 minutes apart, that I should probably go in.  8 minutes seems pretty far apart to me, but on the other hand, I don't want to have a baby in the car on the way over there.  My first labor with the twins was fairly quick - 9 hours from water breaking to 2 babies in our arms, so I guess they just want to be careful.  Personally, I would rather spend the least amount of time in the hospital as possible, though.

The doctor also said that she can't really tell whether I'm going to have a baby tonight or days from now.  I suspect that it's probably going to be sooner than later, but you never know.

I guess I should go pack my hospital bag now.  After that, I'm going to try to take a nap, though it might be kind of hard to sleep.

To be continued...

2 comments:

  1. Yay, super exciting! Progress is being made. I hope you get a clear sign on when to go to the hospital and don't have to hang out there for longer than you want. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess it happened sooner rather than later!!! Congrats Fox family of five!!

    ReplyDelete