Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Starting the Second Trimester

We officially moved into the second trimester on Saturday.  I'm about 13.5 weeks now.  I feel much better than I did during most of the first trimester.  I still feel tired and take one nap a day (when the kids are sleeping).  I have been able to do a little jogging and walking again.  My goal is to do 16 miles per week, regardless of whether I'm walking or jogging.  Last week, I think I did about 12.  I have done 8 miles this week, and it's only Tuesday, so that's looking pretty good!

So far, there isn't a huge difference between this pregnancy and my first.  My stomach is already popping out, but I think that's because it was so stretched out from the first pregnancy.  I don't look pregnant yet - just look like I've been eating too much.  I'll be glad when my belly is round and more obviously pregnant looking.  =)

The OB visits have already been different.  We got an ultrasound at our confirmation appointment and our first official OB appointment.  At the last visit, they just listened to the heartbeat.  We are used to seeing our babies on an ultrasound machine at almost every visit, and we won't see this baby again until around 18 weeks when they do the anatomy ultrasound.  That just feels so weird.  Also, in my first pregnancy, they never measured my belly - not one single time.  Some people consider that measurement to be unimportant when you're dealing with twins, but the midwife who saw me at my appointment last week said that she still measures twin moms.  I'm not sure why I was never measured.  Anyway, they said that they would start measuring me around week 20.

So far, so good.  I have lots of cravings this time around:  Chipotle (of course!), Papa John's (which I usually have even when I'm NOT pregnant), pickles, McDonald's Filet-o-Fish meals (I think of you when I'm in the drive-through, Katie H.), and really anything salty.  So far, I haven't had any sweet cravings, which is COMPLETELY out of character for me.  I'm not sure that replacing ice cream with a Filet-o-Fish is really an improvement, though?

1 comment:

  1. oh, filet o fish?? Yikes. Glad it works for you. My fave was always a regular, fried, Chick-Fil-A sandwich with extra pickles. Funny they didn't measure you last time. I remember when I was measuring like a 44 wk pregnancy at 34 weeks...good thing I only had to carry to 35 wks I guess. So glad you're feeling a little better and able to do your walks and runs again! Can't wait to see you and the kids soon.

    ReplyDelete