Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Baby Snakes

I have seen TONS of baby snakes on the trails during our runs.  Last week, I pretty much ran right over a baby copperhead with the double stroller while I was running with Elise.  It kind of recoiled a bit.  Elise took a picture and then we continued on.


Yesterday, I saw 5 baby copperheads in 6 miles.  That's almost one snake per mile!  I'm surprised by this, because I figured that you would see juvenile snakes in the springtime.  I'll be glad when it gets cold enough that I don't feel like I need to watch my feet for the entire run.

4 comments:

  1. I don't ever want to run on your trail. I can hardly comment on this b/c of the snake picture. My biggest fear is snakes, can't stand pictures or even just talk of them, so the thought of seeing a snake, let alone several, while I'm running would just do me in. ACK!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is actually a harmless brown snake, not a copperhead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the clarification.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for clarifying the picture. I have found over a dozen snakes in my yard in two days. Mostly black snakes and some small brown snakes. I don't want to hurt them because of their part of nature, and their assistance with rodents.
      Two babies look like this brown snake and I came to this webpage to identify it as, "not a copperhead."

      Delete