Thursday, July 28, 2011

World's Best Job

I am often asked if I miss working.  I am lucky to be able to answer that question with an emphatic "No." 

Before I had Miles and Vivienne, I had a job that involved a lot of travel and some times of pretty intense work.  I didn't hate my job, but I didn't exactly love it, and I certainly didn't enjoy having to travel so frequently.

I got tired of spending so much energy on something that I didn't really have a strong passion for, and I feel like I am now spending all of my time focusing on something that matters to me more than anything - my children.  I cannot think of a more worthwhile way to spend my time.  These days are still challenging and tiring, but they are also incredibly fulfilling and rewarding.  I love seeing my babies learning new skills, interacting with each other and other children, flipping through the pages of books and chasing the cats around the house.  Even when I'm hanging their diapers out to dry or washing their high chair trays for the millionth time, I wouldn't trade a minute of it.

I remember after the babies were born, I thought that Jason had it so easy to be able to go to work, talk to adults, eat lunch at a regular pace, use the restroom with the door closed (oh, the freedom!), work out every day and drive home in silence if he wanted to.  I remember thinking that my job (staying at home with newborn twins) was much more difficult than his at that point, but a time would eventually come when my job would be easier and more fun.  I think we got to that point somewhere around 4 or 5 months.  But even in the days when I would cry from the stress and watch out the front window for his car to turn the corner, I wouldn't have traded a moment of it for the world.

Now, my days are full of smiles and tears and diapers and stroller jogging and games of "follow the ball" and and bumps and bruises and playdates and the Farmer's Market and poop and spit-up (yes, we still have the occasional spit-up) and "Miles, don't take your sister's sippy cup" and "Vivienne, please don't take off your diaper" and though I sometimes feel like I've been hit by a train and could nap for 4 hours, I LOVE EVERY MINUTE OF IT.

So, no.  I don't miss my old job.  Thanks for asking.  =)

3 comments:

  1. So, If I hear you correctly, you don't miss your job. right?

    Isn't it great to have a job you LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen. Amen. Amen. To all of the above. Exactly! I feel like I wipe high chairs/trays/bibs all.day.long. In between "please stop putting your mouth on the toilet lid" and "dirty underwear does not belong around your head." But no way would I trade it. In fact, I just saw old office mates today and was so thankful I was only visiting! We have the best job ever.

    ReplyDelete