Thursday, August 26, 2010

Walking Again

On Tuesday and Wednesday of this week, the weather was nice enough for me and the babies to get out for a long walk.  Our town, Cary, has a series of paths called the Greenways.  One of them connects right to the back of our subdivision.  It's so nice to be able to walk on a path that's not beside a busy street.  The trail near our home goes out about 4 miles, but there are also other paths throughout Cary.

On Tuesday, we walked for about 50 minutes.  I think we probably went just over three miles.

Yesterday (Wednesday), we walked for about an hour and went about 3.5 miles.  The babies were wonderful.  Around the half-way mark (over 1.5 miles from home), they started getting a little bit fussy.  This worried me a bit, but there was nothing I could do about it, so we just pushed through and headed home.  Luckily, they calmed down pretty quickly.


 There are lots of ponds along the paths.  We often see little ducklings or bunnies when we walk.

The rocking of the stroller really lulls them to sleep.  Even though they sleep through most of the walk, I like getting them outside and stimulating them with new things to look at and new shapes and colors and sounds.  I can't wait to teach them about bunnies and birds and trees.  We saw a rabbit earlier this week on another walk, right after I had read them Guess How Much I Love You.  I'll be glad when I can point out a real "Nutbrown Hare" to them. 

During the walk yesterday, I got my first "Oh, double trouble!" from a stranger.  I'm surprised no one has said that before now.  Most people ooh and ahh and say how cute it is to see twins.  Other twin moms always let me know that we're a member of the same club and that they're happy for us.  I saw one twin mom yesterday with grown twin sons.

Just before we got home from the walk, they started crying again.  This time, they were really wailing.  People started hearing us before we passed them.  They would look back at us like "What the heck is that sound I hear approaching?"  I think it was pretty clear once I passed them with a double stroller and two screaming babies.  Of course, they quieted back down again just before we got home.  I think I probably pushed it a little too long on that walk, but it was wonderful to get outside (for me and the babies).

So I guess maybe this means that I'm "working out" again.  It's nice to have something I can do with the babies to burn some calories and get some fresh air.  It is hard to remember running 5 or 6 miles a day, though, and now realizing that I'm probably lucky to get in 3 or 4 miles of walking in a day now. 

We're going to get a Bob stroller in a couple months.  I won't be able to run with the babies until they are something like 6 months old, though.  So I guess I'll be doing a lot of walking in the meantime.

This is just a cute picture of Miles' adorable baby feet.  I took this with my phone at the end of our long Wednesday walk.

2 comments:

  1. Call me on another walk day. I'll break out the jogger and strap my slower walkers in! I'd love to catch up over a long walk!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristi, that would be great! We'll just have to plan it one day and go for it. =)

    ReplyDelete