Monday, March 1, 2010

Deliver Me

Jason and I (or maybe I should say Jason is being forced) have been watching the occasional episode of Deliver Me on Discovery Health.  I am NOT the kind of person who would usually enjoy this type of show, but now I can't get enough of it.  It seems both educational and hopefully desensitizing (I have a pretty serious needle phobia and watching c-sections makes me tense up my entire body into a little ball of anxiety).

It is really weird to watch shows that are taped in LA (which are most shows, after all) and see people that you know on them.  This one is particularly weird for me because Dr. Alane Park (the physician on the right in the photo above) was my OB/GYN in Los Angeles for years.  Jason was joking that if we still lived in LA, we would be on the show.  I'm not sure that I would want those "moments" captured for the entire world to see.  It is really weird to see the waiting rooms and exam rooms where I would hang out in the little paper "gowns" myself.

While watching an episode this weekend with 3 (count 'em THREE) c-sections, Jason suddenly said,"Wait!  Go back!  Go back!  I know that guy!"  It turns out that one of the dads on the show is a guy that Jason met at orientation for JPL.  We saw his wife deliver his second child via c-section.  Now, I feel like I know him, too.  =)

If anyone else has recommendations for good baby shows (things that involve giving birth), let me know.  I find this particular show very educational, because they discuss the various conditions that some of the women have and some of the possible complications.  And it's reassuring to see other people successfully give birth (though I have yet to see an episode with multiples).

No comments:

Post a Comment