Thursday, January 7, 2010

Welcome to Morning Sickness

The day after I found out I was pregnant, I felt great. I ran 5 miles. This was going to be a breeze. Right.

The next morning, I left on a 6 AM flight to San Diego for some meetings and my company's holiday party. Up to this point, I haven’t had many pregnancy symptoms. The first night I spent in San Diego, I woke up every hour or two feeling nauseated. I didn’t actually vomit, but I felt like I would probably vomit soon. All night, I thought that I probably had some kind of mild food poisoning.

Then it occurred to me that this was morning sickness. The next morning, on the way to the office, Cindy and Diane were in the front of our rental car talking. I thought I was going to have to ask Cindy to pull over because I was getting sick headed north on the 5. I thought I was going to lose my breakfast on the side of a 12-lane highway. Luckily, I made it all the way to the office, though I didn’t eat very much that day and felt pretty bad for the rest of the trip.

I have now learned that so-called "morning" sickness does not occur only in the morning. It goes all day, up until I go to sleep (usually with a headache). What is so surprising to me is that my sister-in-law (who is about 2 months ahead of me in her pregnancy) said she had virtually no morning sickness whatsoever. How is that fair??

No comments:

Post a Comment